Author Topic: Singer Lauryn Hill goes to Prison  (Read 1280 times)

Offline AriseNshine

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Kenyan Best Forum
Singer Lauryn Hill goes to Prison
« on: May 07, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »
Singer and Grammy Award winner Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to 3 months prison by a Federal Court in the united states for tax evasion. She compared her sentence to the slavery her ancestors endured.

"I am a child of former slaves who had a system imposed on them," Hill said before U.S. Magistrate Madeline Cox Arleo. "I had an economic system imposed on me."

Despite paying more than $900, 000 Hill still owes interests and penalties the U.S attorney's office said.

The phenomenal lady started singing with Fugees as a teenager in the 1990s before she released her multiplatinum 1998 album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill,". She pleaded guilty last year to failing to pay taxes on more than $1.8 million earned from 2005 to 2007.

She explained to the judge how she failed to pay taxes as she had to drop out of her music career to support herself and kids who now number six.

The 37year old celebrity faced a maximum sentence of one year for three counts of failing to file tax returns. Her attorney had sought probation, arguing that Hill's charitable works, her family circumstances and the fact she paid back the taxes she owed should merit consideration.

She will report to prison on July 8

KenyanBestForum.com

Singer Lauryn Hill goes to Prison
« on: May 07, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »