Messi's lawyer Angel Juarez has claimed that his client is innocent of tax fraud charges and arrangements for an off court settlement are off the mark.
The Argentinian star had been summoned in court to answer to the charges arising about a month ago by prosecutor Raquel Amado in the Gava district of the Catalan capital. There was a claim that the Barcelona player had failed to declare €4 million in image rights income earned between 2006 and 2009. It was also sensationally claimed that he had offered around around €15m for off the court settlement.
"Those stories were published without any confirmation from us or any consultation," Juarez told Goal in a telephone conversation late on Thursday.
"Nobody can confirm that information. We cannot comment on any questions concerning my client, we still believe totally in his innocence - that has never changed."
Messi reportedly has two months to prove his innocence in order to avoid a court appearance, but Juarez says there will be no further developments in the short term.
"The latest news is that but the next news will not be soon - there will no more developments "
The first court appearance will likely be on September and with a Champions League match on September 17, Messi will be trying everything to avoid a day in court.
"It could be [settled without Messi having to give evidence in court]," Juarez confirmed. "That is one of the possibilites."